Whether you’re a keen angler or a novice our luxury Sherpherds Huts offer you the perfect base for you to plan your fishing holiday in North Wales.
Our location is excellent!
Our location in the foothills of the Clwydian mountains near to St Asaph puts you close to some of the best sea, game and coarse fishing in North Wales.
We’re also less than 10 minutes away from Foxons Tackle in St Asaph, the areas leading supplier of tackle and angling related services. Foxons have also produced this very handy local fishing guide, with an excellent summary of some of our local angling opportunities.
Local salmon & trout fishing
If trout fishing is your guilty pleasure then we have plenty to offer you. We have a number of beautifully picturesque, high quality, river and stillwater opportunities within minutes. Here are just a few we recommend;
Still water fishing
- Craiglwyd Springs – In Penmaenmawr – around 30 minutes away. Stocked with Rainbows. 1 lake which is 2 acres in size. Fly only. Situated in a very elevated position above Penmaenmawr, well stocked with good-sized fish.
- Tan-y-Mynydd – Moelfre (nr Abergele) – around 20 minutes away. Lovely spot with 5 Lakes to a total of 3 acres. 4 of these are Fly only, 1 allows bait. A lovely fishery with a friendly atmosphere and staff. Rod and equipment rental available.
- Wal-goch – near Nannerch – around 30 minutes away. This fishery is situated on a working farm, and is stocked with Brown & Rainbow Trout. There are 2 Lakes in total, covering around 3 acres. This is a Fly Only fishery.
- Llandegla Fishery – is only 40 minutes away. Llandegla is stocked with Brown Trout, Rainbows & Blue Trout. They have 4 Lakes in total which cover some 4 acres. Three of the lakes are fly only + one is a coarse lake.
We are lucky in this respect in that we have a number of rivers in the local area that produce excellent fishing for Salmon, Sea-Trout and Trout in the right conditions. We’re close to the banks of the River Elwy, the Clwyd and Aled. The rivers Dee and the Conwy are only about 30 minutes by car. Day tickets for all these waters are available through Foxons Tackle in St Asaph.
Local coarse fishing
The lakes and rivers close to the Shepherds Hideaway also provide for some excellent fishing. Most of those listed below are within 30 minutes of us;
- Gyrn Castle Carp Fishery – Llanasa.
- Brickfields pond – lovely local spot, well known to the locals as a great little coarse fishing spot
- Conwy Aquatics – Rowen. 01492 650063
- Offa’s Dyke – Treuddyn. 01352 770296
- Pen-y-Ffrith – Llanarmon-yn-Ial. 01824 780501
- Glasdir – Pentre Halkyn. 01352 781303
- Padeswood Pools – Mold 01244 545941
Given that we’re within 20 minutes of the North Wales coast there are plenty of sea angling opportunities you could take advantage of. From shore fishing off the promenade in Llandudno, Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea, to boat fishing off Anglesey via Beaumaris, or beach fishing at Rhyl, Prestatyn, Conwy estuary, Penmaenmawr, through to rock fishing off the coast of Nefyn, Tudweiliog or any number of other locations that could make your day.
If you’re in need of advice, equipment or bait then once again Foxons Tackle will have what you need, and if they don’t they are sure to be able to help you find it!
We thought you might find it useful to have some quick links to some guides to the fishing in North Wales, so here are a few we like;